Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 3, 2019


CHAPTER ELEVEN

SHELLY





A whirlwind blew thru the café, and all the light was sucked out of the room. Alexander felt his way to the wall in the darkness with his free hand. Abby held the other. In a hushed tone, he whispered, “We need to find the window or door. Maybe we can make our escape that way.”

They smelled their tormentor in the room, but could not see her. Alexander had never inhaled the rancid smell of rotting flesh before, and he hoped he’d never encounter it again. If they survived.

“I can hear your hearts beating,” a sinister voice came from the darkness. “And I can almost taste your fears.”

Alexander flattened himself against the wall, coaxing Abby to join him with a firm jerk. For a moment, he forgot all about how semi-annoying she was, or that this was her fault. He even briefly forgot she was a girl with cooties.

Abby placed her lips to his ears. She was too close. Alexander fought the urge not to cringe, but had to admit that she smelled much better than whatever was decomposing across the room. Abby whispered in his ear, but it was so soft he couldn’t hear a word she spoke. Maybe the sound of chains dragging nearer distracted him, not to mention the glow of yellow eyes only a few feet from them.

“I’ll eat your girlfriend first and save you for dessert.” Shelly’s yellow eyes burst into red flames. Laughter, evil enough to boil their blood, followed.

Abby released Alexander’s hand and whispered into his ears again. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s too late to be sorry, Dearie.” Shelly hid rather well in the darkness. “However, it won’t change your fate. Maybe the young boy will be sad once I’ve eaten you. I doubt it. Your hearts don’t beat as one. Is this your first date?”

Alexander refused to speak.

“It is your first date.” The yellow eyes brightened and dull yellow teeth illuminated in the darkness. “How sweet, first time out, first time eaten together. I’ll enjoy this.”

“I meant I’m sorry I’m not strong enough to carry both of us.” Abby stood up, and an off-white radiance shone around her body. Her face glowed bright, making her even more beautiful, if it were possible. “I’ll be back,” she promised as she slowly melted into the wall.

                                                                 

The room faded back into darkness, but the flash of Abby’s brightness was just enough for Alexander to get a peek at his bully. Shelly was a young girl, only a few years older than he was. Stringy red strands from her nearly bald hung to her shoulders, and her face matched the color of her hair. Chains wrapped around whatever little body she had which drug the floor like a wedding gown train. She must’ve been strong because she floated above the ground, despite the heavy restraints. Of course, she didn’t weigh much, because most of her rotten flesh hung in strips here and there. It was not a pretty sight.

Shelly let out a mournful scream. “You tricked me, you little brat. You brought a powerful light witch on your date. Your girlfriend will never return in time to save you.”

“She is not my girlfriend. All girls are gross, including dead bully girls.”

A cackle came from the darkness. “So, am I disgusting?”

Alexander remained silent since the answer was obvious and crawled far away enough to feel a draft from the window above him.

“You have no idea just how revolting I can be. However, I have lost my appetite. You’re free to go.”

“I can go?” Alexander’s hands relaxed, and his breathing grew calm.

“Of course not. I’m just not hungry.” He heard the sound of fingers snapping, followed by the noise of chains unraveling. Suddenly, Alexander found himself shackled to the wall. “However, I’m sure I’ll be famished once I wake from my nap.” A hot wind whiffed by Alexander as the clinking of chains sounded in the back of the room. “I promise to sleep only a month or two. My rats will keep you company until then.”

The room went darker. Alexander could no longer smell the ghost bully, but it didn’t mean he was alone. Judging from the sound of thousands of pitter-patting claws in the dirt floor all around him, he was now the main attraction in an over-sized rat’s nest.

Alex awaited his doom, but apparently the rats were content to fight amongst themselves. Hissing and squeaking noises surrounded him. Scary thumps and bumps ensued as the creatures scuffled. He wasn’t sure how long he’d hang on the wall before the rats snuck up and nibbled on him in the darkness.

His throat was parched. He almost wished he drank the beer. His stomach growled from hunger. Worst of all, his heart sank when a candle suddenly lit, and hundreds of beady eyes gravitated toward him. They’d regrouped into rows of horror. One rodent squeaked what Alexander thought could be some rat-command, and the rats marched in unison. It was quite clear to him he was the intended target of the rodent army. Alexander expected swift but excruciating doom.

His life flashed before him in slow motion. He wished his life was longer—thirteen years goes by fast, even in slow motion. He thought about Abby for the first time. She deserted him and left him to die alone. Girls are useless, he thought.

 Shelly reappeared. He was too busy promising never talk to girls again to notice the frightening feel of rats crawling under his legs and the glow of Shelly’s yellow eyes staring at him in the darkness. He squirmed, hiking his legs up as best he could.

“I couldn’t sleep,” she cackled. “I hope my lovelies haven’t caused you too much trouble.”

He heard the ghost sniffing at the air. “I see your girlfriend hasn’t returned.”

“She’s not my girlfriend. All girls are useless, including you.”

Shelly laughed at her dinner. “Me? Worthless. You have a lot of nerve.”

Alexander cringed when slimy fingertips poked his stomach.

“There ain’t even enough of you to make it worth my while.”

A cold, clammy hand rubbed against his cheek. Alexander almost passed out from the stench of her breath.

“Not to worry. You’re more than enough to my little friends.” Shelly snapped her finger as a chorus of rat squeaks filled the air. “Wait for me to leave, my lovelies. You’ll have your dinner soon.”

Alexander felt a cool swoosh of air.




No comments:

Post a Comment