Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 31, 2019


CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

LOST AND FOUND





Alexander tried to keep his friends in sight, but lost them when a squall came up suddenly. All he saw was a panoramic view of miles and miles of empty sand. Alexander was lost once again.

Way to go, Sherlock. What do I do now?

He was alone. I guess he can only help when vicious man-eating squirrels are involved. That thought made him angry. It doesn’t do us any good if you get mad anytime you don’t get your way. O’Toole was talking to him.

He looked in all directions, but there were no signs of Malley or Abby. He sighed and plopped to the ground.

The sand was scorching, and the sun blinded him. What was worse, there was nothing to protect him from sunburn?

Time passed slowly, which always happens when a boy is lost without any way of knowing just how lost he is. Stay awake. Falling asleep would be a stupid thing to do. Despite his best intentions, within five minutes, Alex was fast asleep on the sizzling sands with the sun baking his skin.

                                                                 

“Perhaps you should forget to focus on what you don’t have and concentrate what you have.” Alexander jumped as the voice of O’Toole awoke him.

 “You startled me.” Of course, it meant he was talking to himself. “Where’ve you been? I’m lost.”

“I’ve been monitoring your progress. It wouldn’t be fair to you if I were to help you through all of your mistakes.” O’Toole paused long enough for his words to sink in. “Besides, it would tire me out. You’re always getting into trouble. It’s like you’re a dilemma magnet.

“It’s not my fault.” The words sounded weird as if echoed from a cave. “And I’m still lost.”

“You’re not lost. I wouldn’t allow it. You don’t know where you are.” O’Toole laughed.

Great, I’m laughing to myself. Or he’s laughing to himself. Or… oh, whatever. Alexander hoped that there was no one near. They would have him committed.

“I need you to see something.” O’Toole took control of Alexander’s hand and pointed it towards the horizon.

“Yeah, I see it, sand.” Alexander was sarcastic. It was the first time he could remember being sarcastic to himself.

“Look beyond the sand. Tell me what you see.” O’Toole ordered.

“I see more sand.”

“I was afraid you might be too young for this, but something needed to be done.”

Alexander felt O’Toole’s disappointment. “Don’t take it too hard. You’re young. Look with your mind. See what I see.”

Alexander closed his eyes. Suddenly, the sand dissolved and large evergreens took its place. Beyond the evergreens, Alexander saw the scary glow from the copper mines.

“That’s your path. Remember it. Your journey doesn’t get easier from here. It’s perilous. I can’t prevent every folly, but I’ll be with you. Trust in your courage.”

Alexander bowed his head. “I don’t have the courage to walk up to the witch’s door and invite her to eat me. I’m just a kid.”

“Nonsense. And who said anything about knocking on her door? I mentioned your path is in her direction. That’s all. I would avoid her door if it were me. However, your plan might work if she were to die sometime between now and your arrival.”

“Thanks, Captain Obvious, that isn’t helping me.” Alexander looked around. He was still lost. “If you wanna help me, tell me how to get back to Malley.”

“And Abby.” He was an adult. They require adults to like all children even if you are a dead leprechaun.

“Sure and Abby.” The name crawled out of his mouth.

“Now, now, Alexander. Abby is a beautiful, delightful young girl.”

He forgot O’Toole could read his mind, seeing as he was in his mind. “You’re a psycho. She’s annoying. How do I get back?”

“You can annoy too. Be patient. She’ll grow on you.”

“Yeah, grow on me like a wart. Do you know where to go?” O’Toole didn’t answer. Great, I’ve made myself mad.

Five minutes passed. He couldn’t feel the spirit of O’Toole. He panicked after another five minutes elapsed.

“You’ve always known the way back.”

“O’Toole!” Alexander squealed. “Where did you go?”

“There were pressing matters. Hopefully, it won’t affect your journey.”

“O’Toole, how do I find Malley and Abby?”

“Tap your shoes together three times and repeat there’s no place like Malley.”

“What?” Alexander asked.

“Just kidding,” O’Toole laughed. “Close your eyes. See where you want to go.”

“I see … I see nothing. I can’t do this. Go possess Abby if she’s so delightful.”

“Be careful what you ask,” he scolded himself. “Try again, this time with a positive attitude.”

Alexander’s lip quivered, and he pretended to be hurt, which was hard to do because he knew he wouldn’t hurt himself. “Okay.”

“Good. Now once again, close your eyes. Look with your mind, not your conscience mind. Breathe in and feel what is possible,” O’Toole instructed.

“What?” Alexander asked.

“Close your eyes,” O’Toole instructed.

“Oh.” Alexander closed his eyes.

The sands swirled around him, and then he saw them, Abby and Malley.

“What do you see the boy?” O’Toole asked.

“You know what I see, Abby and Malley. They’re over there.” He pointed in the direction.

“Yes, that’s right. And that direction is where?” O’Toole yelled over the wind.

“I don’t know,” Alexander yelled back.

Alexander felt as if somebody or something physically pointed him in the right direction as the wind died down.

“Follow straight and true. Do not get distracted. They aren’t far.” O’Toole went silent.

“Got it. I’ve got to walk that direction, and you’ll be with me, right?”  Silence greeted him, except for the echoes of the shifting sand.

He needed O’Toole, but he seemed to be abandoned. A sudden light breeze blew him in the direction he needed to go.

“Thanks for the help.” He wondered if O’Toole was there. A chill ran down his body at the thought of O’Toole taking over his body. 

No comments:

Post a Comment