Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 9, 2019



CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

ESCAPE







There was little time for Alexander to plan his escape plan. The plan became more desperate when the tub of hot water started to boil. I can’t do this. I’m too young. My parents will miss me. Wait … what am I thinking? My parents don’t even care where I am. He racked his brain, but nothing helped.

He snapped his fingers and stopped pacing as a last-ditch thought crossed his mind. He was sure it was against the law to execute someone who doesn’t have a last Will and Testament. His shoulders drooped, and he tripped over a soup ladle on the floor. He realized he knew nothing about the legality of child executions.

Feeling his way in the darkness, making sure to avoid the boiling kettle, Alexander found a cold slab and sat down. He counted the minutes with his fingers. Not that he was eager to die, but waiting for one’s doom can be annoying and time-consuming. He needed a way to get his mind off his troubles. He imagined Abby. The traitorous, boring witch-girl would be enjoying her time frolicking in the courtyard with her annoying friends. And where is Malley? Oh, no doubt, he grabbed a one-way ticket to home from his magic pocket. He won’t be around for dinner.

“Think,” he whispered, but his mind was weary of useless thoughts.

                                                                 

“I must say, Master Sighs, you couldn’t stay out of trouble if your life depended on it,” a familiar voice said to him.

“O’Toole!” Alexander replied. “Where have you been?”

“I’ve been elsewhere working on your behalf. You don’t make my job any easier …”

“But …” Alexander replied.

“There are no buts,” O’Toole with a wave of Alexander’s hand. “I instructed you to avoid Morgan at all costs.”

“But …”

“What did I just say?”

“There are no buts and avoid Morgan?” answered Alexander.

“So you listened?”

“It’s not my fault,” Alexander cried out.

“Yes, and yet here you are Morgan’s invited guest for the feast of the century.”

Alexander shook his head and sighed.

O’Toole tapped Alexander on the forehead.

Don’t think with this. Think with this,” he said, clutching his heart.

“It doesn’t matter.” Alexander pointed at the tub, though it was too dark to see. “It isn’t for my bath. They plan on cooking me in it.”

“I see, and you plan on permitting that to happen?” O’Toole asked.

“I don’t have a choice. Abby’s gone, and Malley left for home.” Doom filled Alexander’s voice.

“And you’re not going to put up a fight?”

“Aren’t you paying attention to me? I’m overpowered, outnumbered, and too tired to fight.”

“I see. You’re not the Alexander I thought you were. When you’re faced with an overwhelming situation and your fate is held firmly in the grasp of an adversary, there is still one thing you can do.”

“Yeah, what’s that?” Alexander sighed and looked at his feet.

“Leave a dent.” O’Toole jabbed his hand into the air for effect.

“I think I’m hearing things. I could’ve sworn I heard you say dent.”

                                                                 

Sounds in the hallway startled Alexander. He had run out of time. A key rattled in the lock.

“Leave a dent. Make them pay. If you’re going to die, have fun, kick some shins, bite a few hands—anything. Just leave a dent.” O’Toole’s voice disappeared as the door opened.

The now-familiar white coat and chef’s hat entered, alone. “It is time, my friend.”

Alexander stood and started to unbutton his prison jumpsuit. “Where are the other guards?”

“There is a slight disturbance above ground. They’ve gone to help where needed,” the chef explained, still standing in the open doorway. “You’re tiny. I don’t require their assistance.”

Disturbance?

Don’t worry about it. It’s nothing, only your friends trying to free you.” A sly smile came to his face. “It’s too late. Besides, we could always use a few more guests for dinner. Stop wasting time and jump into the pot. I don’t have all day. Morgan gave me an order. She wants to eat you before she flees.”

Alexander lowered his head, and without a word, he head-butted the cook in the stomach, which took the cook by complete surprise. The chef ended up against the prison’s cell door. Alexander made his first “dent” of the day. He quickly switched uniforms with the cook, tossed the cook into the tub, added a few vegetables and a pinch of oregano, and wheeled the tub down the hall. “Sorry, it’s not personal.”

Not one soul, spider, pond squirrel, or any other creature remained in the hallway. A door on each end of the hall remained unguarded. Alexander was free to go either way. An orange jump suited arm floated to the top of the scalding hot water. He left the chef and the tub and darted to into the hall toward the sound of battle.

When Alexander reached the door at the end of the hall, he hesitated to open it. He heard the sound of clashing metal from the other side. However, he knew he would be required to leave a large enough dent. He steeled himself, took a big breath, and then pulled the large green door open. Millions of stone fairies surrounded the enemy forces. They were no match for the menacing trolls. Pond squirrels ran amuck, threatening furry, cuddly forest creatures. Malley, riding a unicorn had his hands full trying to corral spiders, snakes, and other small pests.

O’Toole, are you ready? Without thinking, Alexander flung himself onto a purple unicorn that happened to be whizzing by, freed by Abby. Of course, jumping onto a flying unicorn only helps if you have a plan, something Alexander lacked. He grabbed a mop the janitor dropped after the battle began. Alexander swung the mop over his head like a deadly shillelagh and flew straight into the troll and stone fairy melee. This startled the ugly trolls just long enough for the stone fairies to get ropes around their enemy’s feet, toppling them over. Once they toppled, a million fairies pounced on the fallen trolls without mercy.

The pond squirrels were next to feel Alexander’s wrath. “Hey, pick on somebody your size.” The pond squirrels turned to find the business end of a whirling mop. The huge rodents argued amongst themselves, but Alexander’s reputation as Trixie and Ralph’s exterminator preceded him. They gave up without a fight.

Malley waved at Alexander when he saw him. Somehow, he found a can of bug killer in his pocket. “Who knew there were so many stone fairies or that they could fight like ninjas?” He gave Alexander a big hug. “We couldn’t have done it without you.”

Never count a friend out, until the outcome has been determined, flashed through Alex’s mind. “Where is Abby?” he asked Malley.

“Last I saw, she was riding a unicorn in search of Morgan.”

Alexander’s heart jumped because he knew Abby was not ready for a fight with Morgan. “Which way did she go?”

Malley smiled and pointed.

                                                                 

“Aw, you were worried about me.” A voice came from behind.

Alexander whirled. Abby was dressed in simple white shorts that glowed with a bright light. He was never so happy to see anyone before in his life. He didn’t even blush when she kissed him on the cheek.

“Sorry, but Dad and Morgan escaped,” she whispered. “I saw them fleeing to the far side of the mountain. They’re gone, for now. We can go home.” She glanced at the battleground. “Queen April of the stone fairies promised to make sure all the prisoners will be punished. It’s all over, and I hear you fought gallantly. Your … our quest is complete.”

                                                                       

Alexander, Abby, and Malley sat astride their unicorns. They reached a three-way fork in the road. One fork led west into the mountain and Malley’s home. One fork led north to the castle. The other drove south to Alexander’s home.

“I don’t feel like going home,” Alexander sighed.

We’ve been through this,” Malley, stroked his brown spotted unicorn. “All adventures end with a trip back.”

I’d rather not,” Alexander persisted.

“You’re not going home for long, my young friend. Your mission ends, but not the journey.” Malley struggled with his thoughts. I should tell him that humans never became leprechaun-kindred, and that O’Toole is his father. His mind won out. Malley knew best and would tell him in his own time.

Abby stepped forward. “I have a kingdom to run, and you have a childhood to live,” she said, holding his hand.

“But, I’ll miss you. You’re not as annoying as I thought.”

“And I’ll miss you. My father ran away with Morgan, and I have responsibilities now. I promise to keep in touch.”

“B … but …” Alexander stammered.

“There are no buts, Alexander. It’s time to go.” Tears fell from Malley’s eyes. “I hate to say goodbye. I’ll be dropping in from time to time to see my old friend O’Toole. Until then, be safe.” Malley turned toward home and waved to his friend before vanishing into the forest.

Abby kissed Alexander on the cheek again. “I promise to keep in touch.” She smiled and galloped away, vanishing over the horizon.

Alexander sat, tears rolling down his cheeks, feeling lost.

Don’t worry, my friend. You’ll see her again. Your adventure has just begun, O’Toole said from within.



THE END?

No comments:

Post a Comment