Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 26, 2020


Chapter Thirty

Washington D.C. February 8, 1825





Jim sat wide-eyed and open-mouthed as Colin told his life story. When finished, he sat motionless for a few seconds.

“Let me see that there necklace again,” he begged Colin. “What happens if’n you was to disobey that thing?”

“I don’t know. I have never resisted its urgings for more than a few hours. I get terrible headaches and shakes when I resist even that long. I can only imagine what would happen if I were to resist longer,” Colin confessed.

“I see. Y'all gots no idea if’n the pain gets worse or not,” Jim said stroking his long beard.

“No, I guess I don’t” Colin confessed.

“Then y’all are a damned fooled coward. Never suspected y’all was one,” Jim stated.

“I suppose I am a coward. I never thought of it that way.”

“Well, whatcha gonna do ‘bout it?” Jim asked.

“Do about it?” Colin asked confused.

“Y'all gonna just sit there and let that thing dictate your life. Or ya gonna become a man and quit running from your loved ones? It’s time to quit sittin’ ‘round feeling sorry for yourself.”

“Are you telling me to go home?”

“Damn rights I am. Go home, fool. And next time that there necklace tells ya to skedaddle ‘cause people are talkin’ bout your age difference or such stuff tell that there necklace to mind its own business. And if’n ya gotta move, move with her. Tell the new neighbors you are her brother, son, gran-son, whatever, just don’t take the cowards way out agin. Stay with your loved ones. No matters what gits thrown in your face. I said my piece, take it or leave it.”



Ramon squiggle.jpg



Colin sat with his back to a tree, its branches bare from winter’s ravage. Dirty patches of snow littered the cold ground. He had returned to the nation’s capital three days ago, and he still had not found his wife and children. The Potomac River flowed a few yards before him. The White House was a few blocks behind him while the nearly complete Capital Building was to his right. He could not see either building, but he knew they were there. He could not explain why, but he felt a comforting feeling knowing, despite his current dilemma.

An object floated up the Potomac, piquing Colin’s curiosity. The object took the shape of a man the closer it got. The man swam to Mason’s Island before turning to swim in the return direction.

Colin blinked in disbelief. The swimming man was completely naked. To Colin’s horror, the naked man waved to him and said something he did not hear. Colin became uncomfortable when the man swam to the shore and clambered up the banks. Colin turned to make a hasty exit but stopped when the naked man on the beach pleaded for him to stay.

Colin turned his back to the man to show some semblance of modesty even though the man couldn't care less.

“We have met. However, it was years ago,” the naked man said stretching his arms over his head.

“You must be mistaken. I am new to the area,” Colin answered and walked away.

 “Did I mention Washington D.C.? No, I met you?” The naked man said.

A colored man ran to the naked man. His arms were full of clothing. He bent at the waist, breathing hard. “I dun tol’ ya not to be swimmin’ in da river in nuttin’ but a smile, sir. Now looks what y’all gone and dun. Y'all ran into dis regular citizen. Dis ain’t no way for da president of these here Nited States to be actin.’”

“This is not an ordinary man,” the naked man said pulling on his britches. “And I am not the president, yet. I will have to wait until March 4th and a yea vote from Congress. Isn’t the Twelfth Amendment a wonderful piece of legislation?” The man turned his attention to Colin, “Wouldn’t you agree, Mr…?”

Colin swayed nervously. “I wouldn’t know. I have not read a newspaper for ages.”

“Walk with me, and I will update you on the latest news,” the stranger said, extending his hand to Colin.

“I have pressing appointments, but if you don’t mind walking in my direction?” Colin said pointing toward the Capitol Building.

Adams laughed, slapping Colin on the back. “Very well. Amos, please tell the staff I will be along shortly.”

Colin looked at the balding Adams. “Do you trust your man to return to your home?”

Adams stared at Colin, shocked. “Amos is not my slave. He is a friend of confidence and servant. I believe slavery is an abomination and should be banned as soon as possible. However, I promised to update you and inform you about the wonderful Twelfth Amendment.”

“Mr. President, I still can’t remember ever having the pleasure of meeting you.” Colin leaned over to pick up a short tree branch, which he swung without thought.

“Have patience, my old friend. Now, where was I?” The naked man buttoned his overcoat before continuing. “Oh, yes, we were discussing great legislation. As you may or may not know, Andy Jackson won the popular vote in the election last year. However, he failed to achieve the majority of the electoral vote. The Twelfth Amendment tosses such elections in the lap of Congress. Henry Clay of the House dislikes Jackson and has all but promised their vote would swing my way. The House will vote tomorrow, February 9th.”

“I suppose congratulations might be appropriate,” Colin said. “That still doesn’t tell me when we met.”

“I thought that might be obvious. I am John Quincy Adams… Son of John Adams, you visited my father at the White House frequently.”

“Yes, your father and I had a somewhat formal relationship. I don’t recollect your attendance at any of our meetings,” Colin said smiling.

Adams stopped, looking both ways before continuing. “I stayed in the corner, but the father would always call you a charlatan after you departed. I would constantly besiege him as to why he disliked you so. He finally relented and told me your story. I could not believe the story but obviously, it must be true, you haven’t aged a day in over twenty years.”

Colin tossed the branch to his left. “My story is true, unfortunately. How is your father?” 

“He is not well. Lately old age has not been kind to him. I am thankful he rekindled his friendship with Thomas Jefferson. I feared they would both enter the Eternal reward without making amends.”

“Thomas still lives?” Colin asked surprised.

“Yes, he too is in ill health, and penniless. We owe Thomas an enormous debt of gratitude. Are you aware that Thomas donated his entire collection to the Library of Congress after the British burned it down during the war?” Adams grabbed Colin’s elbow, guiding him across the street, as a carriage rumbled into view.

“I was unaware of that. Give your father my regards,” Colin said.

A twinkle came to Adams' eyes. “I was hoping you might take the opportunity to tell him yourself, at your convenience. It would do him a world of good.”

Colin stopped, causing Adams to lose grip and stumble. “I will try, but first I must locate the whereabouts of my wife and children.”

Adams smiled and swirled his arms around as if he was a king showing off his kingdom. “I will have the entire resources of the United States government at my disposal. Come by my office after the Fourth of May, if you haven’t located them by then.”

“I took another two months to locate my family. I found them in the last place I would ever look,” Colin said, looking at his timepiece. He shook his head and replaced it in his pocket.

“Where did you find your family?” Sally asked.

Colin chuckled. “They never moved, even though I insisted that they move. I found them where I left them. I am sorry, but I have a pressing engagement, and I should arrive on time.”

“Please spend a few more minutes with us,” Sally’s mother asked, touching Colin’s hand.

“Very well, a few more minutes. The story ends with my retirement from running away from my responsibilities. Beth and I spent the next forty years raising our children and grandchildren. My boys grew up to be outstanding citizens. Isaiah even named his first son after me as promised, imagine Colin Harcourt the second. Alison lost her life during childbirth. Dolly still lives, but she is very ill.”

“So you and your wife never parted?” asked James.

“Of course not, we spent time apart and would move, and I would come back as someone else, as far as anyone outside the family knew.”

 “I visited my good friend Thomas just before his death in July 1826. He gave me a letter to give to John Adams, but we all know he passed the same day.” Colin opened a small wooden box sitting on the table. Fishing out a letter, he handed it to Grant, “I carry the letter with me wherever I go." Colin looked at Sally and smiled. “I suppose I have lived a remarkable life. I wouldn’t change a thing. I have had my share of true love, more than most.”

“What are you going to do now? I mean the Scarab keeps you alive,” asked Sally’s mother.

“You mean in the future? I haven’t given it much thought. Maybe California or New York, I might even stay here. For now, I am headed for the White House. I have an appointment to pay my respects to Mary Lincoln.”

 “Wait, I’ll go with you,” Grant said.

“I’d rather go by myself if you don’t mind,” Colin said. “The Lincoln’s and I go way back. I think we would like to share our grief in peace.” He nodded at Sally’s mother. “Perhaps we shall meet again. I have some wonderful stories to tell.” Turning he headed for the door. “Tales you can’t learn in school,” he said over his shoulder.  

No comments:

Post a Comment